Monday, February 18, 2008

Telling the story

Shooting decent video takes practice. You need a good eye for what you're shooting, much like a photographer. You have to think constantly about what you'll need to enhance the video during the editing process. And you have to make sure what you capture is going to make sense in the long run.

Last month, I visited Little Creek Performance Horses in Amwell Township, PA, with our staff writer Erin Faulk, who was writing a profile piece on owner Suzie Mocniak. Suzie and her husband, Michael, turned out to be very friendly, interesting people who had a lot to do and say for the camera.


As a result, I captured almost an hour's worth of footage, which was good. Then I let it sit on my computer for several weeks, which wasn't so good. It's best to finish such projects when they're fresh in your mind.

By the time I returned to Suzie's video, any ideas I'd had about the finished product had long since been forgotten. So I pretty much went from scratch, going through all the footage, highlighting the best commentary and images, then trying to tie them into a package that not only flowed well but told a coherent story.

Did I pull it off? You can be the judge by taking a look at
'American Dream, Phase 2'

2 comments:

Amanda Gillooly said...

It's a beaut. Someone (who doesn't work for a newspaper) told me yesterday that they were sufficiently impressed by the video and other online components that they "tune in" to see what's next. Just wanted to pass along the compliment.

Harry Funk said...

We like those someones who don't work for newspapers!

Seriously, we're glad that people check in. And thanx for the compliment.