Friday, February 22, 2008

Talk about cute

My kids all are teenagers and older, which has its ups and downs, of course. They're pretty much self-sufficient these days, and they don't cause a whole lot of trouble. But they haven't been what I'd consider to be cute in many years.

And so I experienced a tinge of nostalgia last week when I was invited to film the Pint-size Prom, an event for youngsters and their families at the Wilfred R. Cameron Wellness Center in South Strabane Township, PA.

The concept was to dress the youngsters in their best clothes, have their pictures taken and dance to the music, just like at a real prom. And one word described the proceedings: Cute!

OK, that sounds a bit hackneyed, even as I'm typing it. But what the heck.

From a videographer's standpoint, I at first tried to talk with some of the youngsters, to have them tell me about dressing up, etc. But they were understandably shy (big guy with a big video camera), so I spent the evening taking shots of them, their parents and grandparents having a good time. Then, after an intro by coordinator Elizabeth Flynn, who was there with her own daughter, I set the whole thing to an upbeat piece of music I put together quickly with GarageBand.

And so you have it: The Pint-size Prom

No comments: