Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Grateful Dead Night redux

Back in the late '80s, Peter's Pub in Pittsburgh's Oakland section used to have Grateful Dead Night, playing cassette tapes of Jerry Garcia and company.

I hadn't been there since then, but decided to pay another visit recently to see Fungus, a band that draws much of its repertoire from what the Dead used to play.


A couple of years ago, I saw Fungus at an outdoor festival in Nottingham Township, and I really enjoyed the show. So when I received an e-mail from guitarist Dave Gasbarro about the band's performance at Peter's, I decided to take along some video equipment and see what happened.

I recorded the first set with the audio patched straight into the camera from the soundboard. That sounded OK, but fortunately keyboard player Mike Tony informed me that guitarist Terry Callahan's guitar amp wasn't running through the board. So I positioned a microphone directly in front of Terry's Marshall and ended up with a nice sound mix during the second set.

Following the show, I edited three videos, and I've posted three more songs as MP3 files. Take a look to your right, and there they are, for your Sound & Vision enjoyment.

No comments: